Tuesday, October 13, 2009

2 Gigs worth.

Over the weekend I attended 2 gigs. On Friday night I went to see Editors in our local music establishment Dolans warehouse and on Saturday night I saw local band Protobaby supported by Fat Baby Pandas or Bobby Noonan and Band.

Thes Subject of this post is Editors Live.
I'm a fan of Editors (Note: not "The Editors") since the release of their second album "An End has a Start" and as a result was looking forward to the gig immensely. This Gig was part of the bands tour to support the release of their third album "In this Light and on this Evening". I attained the album in anticipation of the gig to be at least a little familiar with the new material.

Having sat down and listened to the album in its entirety I was underwhelmed. Dispensing of the high-octane that I loved about  "An End has a Start" and, to a lesser degree first album "The Back Room", in favour of a darkly, electronic synth sound I was slightly worried. It didn;t have the same energy of the other 2 albums and I was unaware of how it would turn out live.

So, with a little apprehension I attended the show.

The show itself was very good. The band opened with "Munich" from "the Back Room" and then moved on to titular fan favourite "An End has a Start". I was content. The band obviously knew the style that had made people fans to begin with and played to it.

From then on, however, it seemed to play out that every second song was new.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the songs much better live than I did on the album and it was impressive to make it all work live, not to mention that the band seemed to really enjoy what they were doing.
I simply didn;t think that the new songs were anywhere near as good as past glories, beyond the single, "Papillon" from the new album .

So, while the show is enjoyable I would only to see Editors again if they were playing at a festival. On this tour, I would not.

Unless you happen to be a hardcore fan and want to say you were there, skip it.

No comments: