Monday, September 21, 2009

Diamond in the Rough

I'm sitting in my Living room after wasting an evening watching "The Inbetweeners"(meh). Now, on the other hand, I'm enjoying the musical work of "Marina and the Diamonds".
The style of music is strange. Its a blend of interesting piano and string arrangements infused with an electronic feel and weird sounds. If you want to hear what I mean, you can check out the first single from the "Crown Jewels EP" here.
This isn't her first foray into singles, however, having released a single called "Obsessions/Mowgli's Road" earlier this year.

I came across this little gem(If you'll pardon the expression) while at home watching the NME tv station.
As Loathe as I am to watch/listen to the NME, I was very pleasantly surprised to come across "I am not a Robot" on TV. I was enthralled. Not just by the music video, but by the startling range of "Marina". Just so we're clear, Marina does not have a band called "The Diamonds". This is merely the stage name of Marina Diamandis, solo. Kinda like "Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.".

But getting back to my initial point...her range is amazing. She can hit incredibly classically high notes but then drop it by about an octave and a half. She is a great, great singer. I find she does suffer a little bit though in her ballads. While she can still sing, nothing wrong there, she just doesn't capture the attention the way she does during her more upbeat songs. Again, they're good songs, they just could be so much more.

Anyway, I hope that I've managed to introduce you to a new artist who will hopefully be around longer than all the other NME trendy wannabe musicians. I'm looking at you, arctic monkeys.

Her Album should be available later this year.

No comments: