Monday, September 14, 2009

What about 99 red ballons?

Currently, I'm listening to alot of Electro-pop.At least, thats what I call it. Mainly, I'm listening to a band called Freezepop(Who are excellent within the genre) and they call themselves "Synth-Pop".
Is this to distinguish their calibre of avant-garde esque electronic trickery from the likes of Lady Gaga?To be fair, if I were in their shoes I would probably do the same.
Thats not to say that I don't appreciate that type of Electro-pop. I do like a tune or two from Gaga, Iglu and Hartly and, guiltily, the odd Ashlee Simpson song(In her electronic phase). As a result of this saturation of non-instrumentalism, I've started moving back through the annals of music history to uncover the Fine Young Cannibals(Of "She Drives me Crazy" fame), Don Henley("Who composed the wonderful "Boys of Summer") and Depeche Mode.
Does anyone think that Daft Punk would qualify to be under the Electro(Synth?) pop heading? Or would they be the accursed "Dance" or "Techno"?
Personally I think that Daft Punk are far too musically gifted. Commonly, they use real instruments midi'd directly into a sounddesk to create alot of samples and patches for their songs. That means that the guitar and drums you would hear on the likes of "Aerodynamic" or indeed "Robot Rock" are actual guitar and drums played by the french duo themselves. True Musicianship.
Also, If it has struck you as odd that I've decided to discuss music at random, there is a simple response. I've decided to turn this blog into a "Music, Art and Cinema" Blog (As if there wasn't enough). This means that I'll hopefully have far more to blog about in the near future. I've recently attained the new Muse album and will review shortly. Movies...I'll be going from classics up to modern day, I don't discriminate. Art, will mainly be "Street-art" and photography. It still counts.

So yeah. New Format, new subject (Thats far more interesting than the previous subject) and I might look into a new name/layout. But I don;t imagone the name getting cleverer than the current.

1 comment:

UberApe said...

You'd know more than I would about the difference genres and sub-genres and sub-sub-sub-genres. I try not to get too worried about classifying and labeling music beyond some basic broad categories. I'm happy with "electronic" for Daft Punk. (Or maybe "good electronic".)
"Techno" is tainted by association with the hybridised, recycled, generic garbage that's made in its name, which you'll find me dancing to retardedly and spasmodically in a club every saturday night. The same goes for "dance".

I must check out that new Muse album.