Sunday, November 18, 2007

Riddle me This...

Last night was the first time I played a gig in about two months.I had practised for maybe a day before the gig.I wasn't nervous.For some reason I never am.The only time I get nervous is when I'm giving a presentation in college,which I guess is a whole other blog topic.

Anyway,So I arrived at the venue at around 6.20 or so.I was starting at 9.Along with the other two bands,we had plenty of time to set up and soundcheck,and then grab some food.Unfortunately out organisation was being interfered with by what was described,upon my arrival, as a "Kiddies Disco".We lugged all the gear upstairs left it in a store room and were assured that the "disco" would be over by 8.Hmmmm,An hour to set up two bands and an acoustic troubadour...I guess thats do-able,right?

8 O'Clock rolls around and the "disco" shows no signs of stopping.So,To show our annoyance we start bringing all the gear out of the store room and leaving it beside the stage.Man,who says the spirit of the 60's is dead?

8.30:We FINALLY(not passion,just emphasis) get to start setting up our gear.Within 40 minutes everything is good to go and everyone has soundchecked.Now we wait for people to arrive.Bear in mind I was supposed to go on at 9.At this point it was 9.10 and the place wasn't open!They didn't even have someone on the door!

So at 9.35 I played my set to an empty venue.Afterwards I was told it has probably been my best vocal performance to date.What a shame.My guitar work wasn't the greatest but,what errors I made I covered up pretty well.At least,they weren't noticed.

What tops off the whole night though,is the fact that a manager or something came up to us as we were setting up and said..."Is there a band on here tonight?".What.The.Fuck.
Apparently,Riddlers had no idea they were having a band.Thats some shitty organisation if you ask me!Although that does explain why the gig wasn't advertised,not even in their own bar!

Overall the night was a mess.No performer involved was happy with the way things went and I don't think its without due.So,end result?

Riddlers is being boycotted for a while.Sure,Its one less place to play,but judging by the treatment we received,I don't think think they'll notice.

No comments: